WHAT IS SPIRIT DAY?
Spirit Day is a means of speaking out against LGBTQ bullying and standing with LGBTQ youth, who disproportionately face bullying and harassment because of their identities. Pledging to "go purple" on Spirit Day is a way for everyone — forward-thinking companies, global leaders, respected celebrities, neighbors, parents, classmates, and friends — to visibly show solidarity with LGBTQ youth and to take part in the largest, most visible anti-bullying campaign in the world.
WHY IT MATTERS:
- 85.2%of LGBTQ students report being verbally harassed
- 63.5%of LGBTQ students report hearing homophobic remarks from teachers and/or school staff because of their gender expression
- 57.6%of LGBTQ students did not report experiences of bullying because they doubted an intervention
- 57.6%of LGBTQ students feel unsafe at school because of their sexual orientation
- 48.6%of LGBTQ students have experienced cyberbullying
- 63.5%of LGBTQ students who did report an incident said that school staff did nothing in response or told the student to ignore it
HOW TO PARTICIPATE?
- Take a pledge
- Learn the facts
- Spread the Word
- Wear purple on Oct 19